Before the Land Rush of 1889, Reverend Sylvester Morris, a Methodist missionary, owned what is now the oldest house standing in Tulsa. The simple, side-gabled house dates back to 1885.
This historic house, originally located on the 400 block of North Cheyenne Avenue, was relocated to its current location in 1976 after it caught fire, which attracted the attention of historian Beryl D. Ford, who discovered letters to Morris dated in 1895 within the plaster walls.
Morris was reportedly shot by lawmen that mistook him for a whiskey peddler. His horses continued home, carrying his body in the carriage.