In 1950, the world’s first yield sign was placed at the corner of First Street and Columbia Avenue in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The intersection was believed to be the most dangerous in Tulsa, and Officer Clinton Riggs, Tulsa native and police officer, developed a new idea to alleviate collisions.
The original sign was yellow, keystone shaped and read “Yield Right of Way” in bold black letters on a bright background. Within one year of the sign’s posting, collision rates dropped dramatically. Inspired by its success, Tulsa posted additional signs throughout the city, and they became an invaluable addition to road safety.