From 1898 to 1900, Anton Classen purchased several hundred acres of farmland north of 10th Street in Oklahoma City.
To add value to the land, Classen and his business partners built the territory’s first streetcar system in the winter of 1902-03. It ran east and west on Main Street and north on Broadway and Walker. Not surprisingly, it ended in the middle of the farmland Classen had been buying for $100 an acre. With access to town via streetcars, lots then sold for $1,000.
Today, the neighborhood at the end of the streetcar line is called Heritage Hills.
– Bob Blackburn, Oklahoma Historical Society