With July hitting the world record for the hottest month ever recorded, follow these five tips to stay safe while beating the summer heat:
1. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids. Avoid caffeinated and alcoholic drinks.
2. Stay inside or find some shade. Keep cool by avoiding direct sunlight or staying inside.
3. Replenish electrolytes. Sweating decreases sodium levels; try drinking Gatorade or snacking on salty pretzels.
4. Wear loose-fitting, lightweight and light-colored clothes. Avoid dark clothing, which absorbs the sun’s rays.
5. Save outdoor activities for cooler times of the day. Check local temps and schedule activities for early morning or late evening.