Built as a municipal auditorium and convention hall, Theatre Tulsa was billed as the largest hall between Kansas City and Houston. In 1930 an architect was hired to redesign the “barn-like interior” and it was redone in Art Deco style.
Peter Mayo purchased the building in 1979, the same year it was added to the National Registry of Historic Places. He renamed it the Brady Theater after the street where it is located. When the city of Tulsa renamed the street, he changed the name to Theatre Tulsa.
Its next production is “Our Town” at the Tulsa Performing Arts Center.
– Staff report, The Oklahoma 100