The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority (OTA) is encouraging drivers to travel carefully during the holidays and stay weather aware, especially in snowy or icy conditions. When getting out on the road in winter weather, drivers should:
• Check road conditions and plan their routes before heading out on highways.
• Stay at least 200 feet behind road-clearing equipment.
• Allow extra space between vehicles so there’s an adequate distance for braking in wet and icy conditions.
• Be aware of “black ice,” which looks wet on the roadway but is actually a thin layer of ice.
• Be patient and allow extra time to reach destinations.