Returning to work after having a child can be a challenging transition. Regardless of which state or federal workplace laws apply, employers should consider these best practices for welcoming back new mothers:
– Talk to expecting employees about how much leave they will take and whether they may need flexible work hours when they return.
– Consider increasing a new mother’s workload gradually instead of expecting her to return to work at full capacity.
– When possible, avoid scheduling meetings beyond normal work hours, especially without notice.
– Allow breaks for mothers to pump breast milk in a comfortable, private space – not a bathroom.
– Lisa McGlynn, Fisher Phillips